of the Bonhill Church building
History and the Present Building - In 1225, some monks sailed from Paisley Abbey, past the spot where the church now stands, round the bend of the fast flowing Leven to fish in the Linbrane pool for salmon. Though there was Christian influence in the area prior to that, this is the first time Bonhill is mentioned in the pages of history.
Bonhill has been served by many interesting clergy including Rev William Gregor. He ministered for forty years and had the unusual practice of baptising children at a well outside a near-by hostelry.
Many churches have stood where the present one stands. It was built in 1836 and greatly modified in 1989 to meet the demands of the age .
Please click the PDF logo below for more history!